Friday

Cosmopolitan article


I've had a lovely week illustrating new packaging for Cafedirect, I'm really excited to show you it (and will do as soon as I can!)

I was interviewed for the current (May) issue of Cosmopolitan about my job, the article is above and the text follows below.

Have a great weekend - I'll be back next week with new work for Glamour Mag x

AS TOLD TO KATE RUSSELL. 
PHOTOGRAPH KATLE HYAM S‘ HAIR AND MAKEUP VICTORIA BARNES

Name KERRY LEMON
Age 32
From SURREY
Job ILLUSTRATOR

A TYPICAL DAY

I've always loved drawing, but it never crossed my mind that I could make a living from it. I studied fine art, then took on small jobs in the art world, from giving private lessons to working at a museum. Meeting sculptors, painters and ceramicists helped me realise it was possible to have a career making artwork, so I decided to return to uni and become an illustrator.

After graduating, I wrote a business plan, secured a £10,000 grant from the Queen Elizabeth Scholarship Trust and worked hard to get my name known. I set myself a challenge to he established Within three years but, after 18 months, the work was steadily flowing in. Now I work on everything from illustrating books to designing and drawing huge window installations in places such as Harvey Nichols and Swarovski.

I got up at seven, have a shower, check my emails and take a big cup of tea into the studio in my home. I warm up by working in my sketchbook, then start on my projects. There are usually a few different things going on at once, but I have a board in my studio with dates on, so I know what’s due and W
when.

About 12,1 go for a walk and do Pilates because sitting at a desk is not good for you and I can’t risk a bad back. Although I’m alone at home, I never get lonely, as I’m immersed in my work. I’m back in the studio by 2pm and work until my partner, Steve, gets home at seven. He's an animator and I'll often FaceTime him to show him what I’m working on and bounce ideas off him.

In the evenings we sit with our cats, watching trashy TV, eating popcorn and sketching (I can’t stop!). I only put my books down if we’re watching a show such as The Killing, otherwise I end up bobbing my head up and down to see the TV!

l have to think like a business as well as be creative. I dedicate whole days to the admin side, such as invoicing and accounting, and l have at least one meeting with clients each week. This job means being organised and proactive - I don’t wait for the phone to ring. I think of things to draw and get in touch with people I think might pay for it. I’ve worked with Smythson, Boodles and Liberty that way.
Harvey Nichols asked me to do its Windows for London Fashion Week. I loved the brief to design dark, sinister British animals, which were blown up on vinyl and stuck to the glass. Seeing my work on those huge floor-to-ceiling windows was amazing.             

THE GOOD
The fact that I’m making money from my biggest passion. The bonus is I get to sit at home and do it with a cup of tea.

THE BAD
It’s potentially quite isolating as I’m working from home. I do make a big effort to see my friends though.

STILL INTERESTED?

QUALIFICATIONS 
You don‘t need specific qualifications but you need an amazing portfolio. Go to Association of Illustrators classes and talks, and read up on how to run a small business and market yourself - talent is only useful if someone knows you're there. 

SALARY 
Anything up to £70,000 a year.

KEY SKILLS
Be organised and willing to work hard. And be nice to people so they want to hire you!
and willing to work hard. 

END

I also created a short film for their digital content of me drawing in my sketchbook which you can see below:


Kerry Lemon - Cosmo Timelapse from Kerry Lemon on Vimeo.

No comments: