Sunday

Residency update

Hello!

I just wanted to give you a little update on my residency progress this week...

(Each Friday over the course of a year I am working as Artist in Residence at Royal Holloway University in the Plant Molecular Science department funded by the lovely folk at Ted Baker - more info here)

It's the MOST exciting thing I have EVER done, endlessly inspiring, engaging and provoking. I am particularly interested in the Herbarium (pressed plant specimen collection) discovered last week. Particularly the older plants with the glorious copper plate hand written labels!


This inspired me to attend a 'Contemporary Calligraphy' class in London led by Imogen Owen and organised by Quill London (highly HIGHLY recommend!) 


I've also been learning to use the departments microscopes...


Conducting experiments...


Exploring the archives...



and (of course) doing lots and lots and lots and lots of drawing!...




I am also doing a HUGE amount of reading in developmental biology, plant science and synthetic biology, I have regular seminars, group reading sessions and will start to attend lectures next term.

I am loving collaborating, stepping so far outside of my knowledge and comfort zone and embracing all the learning and failing which this is entailing. I look forward to sharing more details as the months progress, but you can watch snaps of my progress each week on Instagram here

In other news... I've just finished two new drawings for Holland & Barrett, and I am DELIGHTED to announce that the Christmas window I am VERY busily creating at the moment is for Coutts. It will launch on the 1st December at 440 The Strand (opposite Charing Cross Station in London) and will be my largest window so far, I'm SO proud of it and cannot wait to share it with you very soon! x

1 comment:

Katheen said...

This sounds like so much fun! Next time you're heading to Squam, save a little time on the front or back end for the glass flowers collection at The Harvard Museum of Natural History - I love them and think you'd dig it. http://www.hmnh.harvard.edu/on_exhibit/the_glass_flowers.html