Monday

Adventures in Brussels and Bruges












I had the most wonderful trip to Brussels and Bruges, it was so inspiring and I just wanted to share some snapshots from my (too brief!) time there. I saw and did so much but the things which really inspired me and have stayed with me on my return were..

- The hand carved wooden moulds at J Dandoy for shaping speculoos (spiced biscuits)

- Emilio Lopez-Menchero at the Centrale for Contemporary Art particularly his "Trying to be Frida' photograph displayed in a room with a wonderful printed floor.

- The stunning Breugels at the Musee Old Masters

- The Gallery of Hearts at the Musees Royeaux d'Art et d'Histoire, an entire room full of paintings, sculptures and prints featuring the heart. I found the collection really inspiring, moving and romantic.

- Ellen Harvey's temporary exhibition at the Groeningemuseum depicting maps of Brussels inlaid into mirrow, so the many waterways of the city shone silver and reflected the viewer.

- Andrew George's temporary exhibition at the Memlingmuseum made me cry, a beautiful photography exhibition with accompanying interviews from terminally ill people in hospices.

- The Helig Bloedbasiliek the most beautifully painted and printed church - so inspiring!

This week I'm really excited to be back in the studio working on my Birds of Paradise book for Pictura. On Wednesday I'm having a private behind the scenes tour of The Millennium Seed Bank as part of my Artist in Residence project - I'm SO EXCITED! and can't wait to tell you all about it! x

No comments: